Becoming a leading institution in Turkey and in the world through using modern and the latest Technologies in teaching Turkish and other World languages as well as creating teaching techniques.
Creating the necessary education environment in order to teach Turkish and other foreign languages inside and outside Turkey, carrying out education, research, application and publication activities, leading the studies in this field.
All foreign language studies are carried out in the classes composed of 7-16 students through the lectures of teachers who are expert in their fields in TÖMER. “U” desk system in the classes enables trainees to see each other and the teacher easily as well as communicating each other. In this system, each trainee is at the same distance from the teacher and blackboard; as different from the classic class system, it was observed in this seating order that trainees participated in the course more actively and derived the highest efficiency.
Language teaching in TÖMER is based on the equiponderant development of four basic language skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing). Teaching activities are supported by such audio-visual tools as television, reflector and DVD player.
All teachers working in TÖMER are graduates from the departments of linguistics, philology and language teaching in the universities. Some of the teachers have carried out or carry out academic career especially in Ankara University as well as other various universities.
TÖMER is not a “training center”, but a research-application center providing course service to everyone who want to learn a language under the guarantee of Ankara University with its scientific academic infrastructure.
In TÖMER; Turkish courses are provided for foreign people while foreign language courses are provided for Turkish people. Also, general foreign language courses are provided for primary school students.
In addition to face to face training, supplementary trainings are provided to the trainees in TÖMER through internet. The content of this training is determined by TÖMER. Trainees studying Turkish, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Russian can derive benefit from this service.
Students successfully completing basic and intermediate levels deserve to obtain certificates signed by the Directorate of TÖMER while students successfully completing advanced level deserve to obtain diploma signed by the Presidency of Ankara University. Moreover; TÖMER certificates and diplomas obtained in the language which is learnt are regarded as a reference determining the language level of the student in many civil institutions and private institutions.
In accordance with the institutional statistics, students attending foreign language courses in TÖMER have become very successful in YÖS (Foreign Student Examination) and ÖSS (Student Selection Examination). When considering Turkey’s need of qualified foreign language teacher, teaching language service of TÖMER contribute to the students’ being directed to philology departments.
There are also Foreign Language Courses for Special Purposes and Turkish Courses for Special Purposes in TÖMER for various expertise branches.
Turkish, the root of which dates back to the earliest period of the history, is a world language, very rich in words and eloquence, spoken by more than 200 million people in a large geography.
Turkey Turkish is a branch of Turkish, interacted with lots of languages throughout the history and a person who learns Turkey Turkish will both be involved in a rich culture created by this language and get the key of understanding the other branches of Turkish language used in a large geography.
Foundation aims of TÖMER, Turkish & Foreign Languages Application & Research Center of Ankara University, is to teach Turkish as a foreign language inside the country and to teach Turkish as a native language to the Turks outside the country as well as promoting Turkey and Turkish culture. Among the aims of TÖMER, there are also such aims as preparing schedules and developing methods for teaching Turkish as a foreign and native language and also carrying out scientific studies based on cooperation with various agencies and institutions inside and outside the country.
TÖMER Turkish Department which handles Turkish teaching as a foreign language with a scientific approach has an experienced and dynamic academic staff composed of teachers who are experts in their fields, some of whom have completed their post graduate and doctorate studies. Courses are provided in the classes composed of 5-16 students equipped with visual and audio tools in the shape of “U” desks. Turkish courses are organized in intensive courses of 80 hours, normal courses of 96 hours and of one month, in periods of two months; students completing Basic Turkish II course deserve to obtain the certificate of A1, students completing Basic Turkish IV course deserve to obtain the certificate of A2, students completing Intermediate Turkish IV course deserve to obtain the certificate of B1, students completing Advanced Turkish II course deserve to obtain the certificate of B2; students completing Advanced Turkish IV course deserve to obtain the diploma approved by the Presidency of Ankara University (C1 certificate). In such levels as Basic Turkish I, Basic Turkish III, Intermediate Turkish I, Intermediate Turkish III, Advanced Turkish I and Advanced Turkish III which are not equivalent of any ADP (European Language Portfolio) certificate levels, students can pass to the upper level in accordance with the performance assessment criteria determined by the teacher during that level. Students who are not found appropriate by the teacher to pass to the upper level can take the level passing examination, if they request, and can continue the upper level if they become successful.
Turkish courses are composed of totally 12 levels as 4 Basic Courses, 4 Intermediate Courses and 4 Advanced Courses. Our students are assessed at the end of each level through four basic language skills (listening-comprehending, reading- comprehending, speaking, written expression) and level passing examination including supplementary skills which support these skills (grammar). Yeni HİTİT Turkish Teaching Set 1-2-3 and their study books, CDs, video cassettes, following the books as a grammar index, as well as supplementary materials, prepared by Turkish teachers, are used in the courses.
Assessment Exams at the End of the Courses
Level passing examinations are carried out for the assessment of four basic language skills in order to measure the level of reaching the targets at the end of the courses of 80 hours in intensive levels and of 96 hours in normal levels in equivalent to the certificate level. Scoring system applied in the examinations are as the following. While a student failing a skill can take the makeup exam, a student failing various skills has to repeat the level. Information provided so far is summarized in the following table.
TABLE FOR ADP EQUIVALENCE, EXAMINATION DOCUMENTS AND STUDY BOOKS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LEVEL SYSTEM OF TÖMER
COMMON EUROPE TEXT
Yeni Hitit1 1.2.3. Units
Yeni Hitit1 4.5.6. Units
Yeni Hitit1 7.8.9. Units
Yeni Hitit1 10.11.12. Units
Yeni Hitit2 1.2.3. Units
Yeni Hitit2 4.5.6. Units
Yeni Hitit2 7.8.9. Units
Yeni Hitit2 10.11.12. Units
Yeni Hitit3 1.2.3. Units
Yeni Hitit3 4.5.6. Units
Yeni Hitit3 7.8.9. Units
Yeni Hitit3 10.11.12. Units
In the levels with no examinations, students can pass to the upper level in accordance with the performance assessment criteria determined by the teacher during that level. Teacher makes this assessment depending on the participation of students in courses, doing their homework or not, their success in the mini quizzes, their eagerness to learn and their learning speed. Students who are not found appropriate by the teacher to pass to the upper level can take the level passing examination, if they request, and can continue the upper level if they become successful.
Scoring System Applied in the Examinations
The Highest Score
The Lowest Score
1. You should take Placement Test before registration in the courses. Placement Tests are carried out in each day of the week between 09:00 and 16:00. Registrar’s Office is open between 08:30-20:00 every day and between 08:30-17:30 at weekends.
2. Placement Test (except for Turkish courses) is paid (15 TL.) and this amount is deducted from the course fee in the registration. Students not registered in the courses are not refunded with this Placement Test fee.
3. Placement Test results are valid for 4 months. Despite Placement Test results, course teacher can change the level of the trainee by obtaining the approval of the relevant Head of Department when necessary.
4. Foreign language course fees are paid in Turkish Liras (Turkish Course fees are paid in $). Registration fees, for the classes not opened because of reasons arising out of TÖMER, are refunded.
5. You should show the necessary identity card and give its photocopy in the registration in order to derive benefit from the discounts in TÖMER.
6. Registration can be frozen upon a valid excuse and classes can be changed within the bounds of possibility in the first week of the level of registration; further applications are not accepted and no fee is refunded for the course period for which the student will not be registered.
7. Registration freezing is valid for 1 year at most. If there is an increase in the prices within this period, price different will be covered by the trainee. No price different will be covered by the student because of registration freezing arising out of TÖMER. For registration freezing exceeding 4 months, a Placement Test is held free of charge for re-registration.
8. The original copy of the invoice, one petition, identification card of the student and IBAN are required for the refunds paid because of force majeure.
9. Courses in TÖMER continue during 12 months a year, 7 days a week between 09:00 – 21:00 except for official and religious festive holidays. Course hours cancelled because of the reasons arising out of TÖMER are made-up.
10. Trainee can transfer his/her right to another trainee for the same or another language for the course period which he/she has made a payment, within the first week of that period, and the transferred person is subjected to a placement test free of charge in order to determine his/her level.
11. For a class to be opened, there should be the least number of trainees determined by the Board of Directors of TÖMER. This number is 7 for English and special purpose Turkish courses while it is 5 for other languages and special purpose foreign language courses. In group applications, private classes can be opened, days and hours of which are unique to them in periods of one or two month/s. Continuation or closing down of these classes as well as their course hours, class and teacher changes will depend on TÖMER administration.
12. In last four hours of the levels where examination is applied, a level completion examination composed of five skills is held. Successful trainees pass to the upper level. Unsuccessful trainee has to repeat the same level and pay the course fee again in order to pass to the upper level. It’s required to obtain minimum scores specified below in order to pass all the skills in the exam.
Trainees completing Basic and Intermediate levels obtain certificates approved by the Directorate of TÖMER while trainees completing Advanced level obtain diploma approved by the Presidency of Ankara University .
13. There is a compulsory attendance in the courses in the ratio of 7/8. Students not attending regularly in this ratio are not accepted to level completion exam and regarded as unsuccessful in that level. No refund is provided for days and hours in which there is non-attendance.
14.Any trainee registered in the courses of TÖMER is regarded as having accepted all the applications and conditions specified above..